Ottewell Community League Playschool (OCLP) has operated within the community for over 50 years. Our Parent Cooperative program runs Tuesday and Thursday mornings with an optional Friday morning, from September to June. The program offers gym time, stories, crafts, songs, field trips, visitors, and so much more.
What is the age range for the program?
Children aged 3-5 may attend and they must be potty trained at the time that they join the class.
What is the playschool schedule and location?
We run out of Braemar School (9359 67a St NW) and our schedule is Tuesdays & Thursdays, with a third day option of Friday Classes.
Classes are from 8:45am to 11:15am.
Playschool participants have a variety of activities including: free time/unstructured play time to start with centres/activities mixed-in, gym time, snack time, organized circle time. There are also in-class presentations as well as off-site field trips. Special parties around holidays are held with parents and siblings.
What will my child be learning?
Activities that are structured around development of motor skills, social skills and cognitive skills in a fun and encouraging environment. The curriculum supports some preparation for Kindergarten.
Meet our Teacher
Miss Lorna Lucas joined the playschool in 2019 and has been a welcome addition. With over 20 years in early childhood development and childcare, Miss Lorna has a natural ability to relate to and communicate with her students. Parents that are in the class have noted her patience and organization are superb. As a member of the Ottewell Community, Miss Lorna is a natural fit for the playschool.
What is the time commitment for parents?
- Parents are required to:
- Complete duty parent days on occasion (once every 5-6 weeks) where they are in the classroom for one full class, helping the teacher with various activities, supervision of the children and clean up. On days that a parent is the duty parent, they are required to provide the snack for the day.
- To participate in various fundraising activities including an early autumn sale (almonds, chocolates, etc.), (2) Bingos or (1) Bingo and (1) Casino, and potentially another function at the discretion of the Community League.
- Fulfill a resource position that assists the Teacher or Director of the Playschool with tasks, including: Play-doh maker, laundry, library, field trip helper, etc. All Resource Parent Positions are decided/determined at the August Parents Meeting. Position descriptions can be found in the Parent Handbook.
- Take part in two cleaning bees per year – held in the evenings, parents work together to clean the classroom and toys.
What is the cost for my child to attend?
OCL Playschool current tuition rates are $90/month for the two day program and $135/month for the three day program. Deposit cheques (refundable) are required for each mandatory volunteer commitment (Bingo cheque, Cleaning Bee, Ghost Parent). All registrants will be required to have a current Ottewell Community League Membership by the beginning of the school year.
How do I register? When is the deadline?
Beginning at the 2020 Open House, held on Wednesday, February 27th, the OCLP will be accepting registrations for the 2020-21 school year.
If the maximum capacity is reached, a wait list will be started and should there be enough enrolment, classes will be split and two classes will be formed.
Registration Packages can be downloaded here.
For further questions, please contact the Registrar, Natalie Barraclough, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the Playschool Director, Tyler Peterson, via email at email@example.com or via telephone at (780) 271-6846.
A $25.00 non-refundable deposit is required to hold a spot.
– If there are vacancies during the school year, registrations will continue to be accepted.
Download our Parent Handbook
Any questions about the program, please contact us, we’d love to hear from you.